The story of Deacon Ed Shoener’s daughter Katie moved many when it first made news in the summer of 2016. After years of battling mental illness, Kathleen Shoener took her own life at the age of 29. Deacon Ed wrote her obituary himself, and he held nothing back, addressing her illness with great condor and great love. “Katie was not bipolar,” he wrote. “She had an illness called bipolar disorder. Katie herself was a beautiful child of God.” His courage and compassion in the weeks that followed touched many around the world. I reached out to him to see if he’d be willing to share some of his story, and he generously agreed.
- Katie’s Obituary from the Scranton Times at Legacy.Com
- Katie’s Story – one of the most inspiring people of 2016
- She ‘loved life:’ A grieving father wrote openly about suicide and mental illness in daughter’s obituary
- Attitudes progressing about mental illness
- Deacon Digest – The Spiritual Side of Katie’s Story